When is a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection/Verification (DR 2698) needed?
The following situations will require a VIN Inspection/Verification:
- If the vehicle is titled in another state or country
- If your vehicle has a registration from another state
- A vehicle transferred on an out of state Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO)
- Any vehicle transferred on Purged Bill of Sale
- Anytime the vehicle description needs to be corrected
- Abandoned vehicles
- Military Registration
Who can perform and complete the VIN Verification/Inspection?
• The Clerk and Recorder or any of the county's Motor Vehicle clerks.
• Colorado Dealer
• Colorado Law Enforcement Officers:
• If your registration and title are from different states, we will need verification that the vehicle was not titled in the state where the registration was issued.
• Each agency has a fee associated with performing the VIN inspection.
• If you need a Certified VIN Inspection/Verification you will need to contact the Colorado State Patrol at (970) 858-2250 to schedule the inspection.