Motor Vehicle Shortcuts

New Residents link

Vehicle Titles link

Vehicle Registration link

Persons with Disabilities link

Off-Highway Vehicles link

Plate Designs link

Other Information link 

(970) 244-1664

Mesa County logoColorado Department of Revenue logo


VIN Inspections

When is a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection/Verification (DR 2698) needed?

The following situations will require a VIN Inspection/Verification:  

  • If the vehicle is titled in another state or country
  • If your vehicle has a registration from another state
  • A vehicle transferred on an out of state Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) 
  • Any vehicle transferred on Purged Bill of Sale
  • Anytime the vehicle description needs to be corrected
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Military Registration

Who can perform and complete the VIN Verification/Inspection? 

• The Clerk and Recorder or any of the county's Motor Vehicle clerks.

• Colorado Dealer

• Colorado Law Enforcement Officers:

    • Mesa County Sheriff's Office
    • City of Grand Junction Police Department 970-242-6707
    • City of Fruita Police Department 970-858-3008
    • Town of Palisade Police Department 970-464-5601 
    • DeBeque Town Marshall 970-283-5146 
    • Colorado State Patrol (Certified VIN Inspections)

Additional Information:

• If your registration and title are from different states, we will need verification that the vehicle was not titled in the state where the registration was issued.

• Each agency has a fee associated with performing the VIN inspection.

• If you need a Certified VIN Inspection/Verification you will need to contact the Colorado State Patrol at (970) 858-2250 to schedule the inspection.