*You must have valid proof of age and identity.*
- Both applicants need to appear in order to obtain the license. (If just one appears, another form will need to be completed.)
- Arrive prior to 4:00 p.m. (Marriage/Civil union licenses will not be issued after 4:00 p.m.).
- License is valid for 35 days from date of issuance.
- License is only valid for use within the state of Colorado.
- $30.00 Cash Only license fee; other fees may apply.
- Parent or Legal Guardian information is required regardless of the age of the applicants.
- Death or divorce information required (if applicable).
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have valid proof of identification.
If applicant is under 18 years old, judicial approval (Court Order) is required.
Blood tests are not required for either party in the state of Colorado.
- A couple may not marry/form a union when one of the parties is still married or in a civil union with another person.
- Divorces and dissolutions must be final.
- You must provide date and location of divorce or dissolution.
- Marriage/unions between ancestor and descendant is prohibited whether half or whole blood. (Marriage/union between cousins is permitted.)
Who can perform your marriage ceremony?
Couples may solemnize their own marriage in Colorado.
- Judges, retired judges, magistrates
- Information for Judges that perform marriages can be obtained at https://www.courts.state.co.us/ under the link for Weddings and Civil Unions
- Public officials authorized to perform marriage ceremonies
- Any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination
- Clergy from out-of-state do not need to be registered in Colorado
- Indian Tribe or Nation
Who should I contact?
Contact the Mesa County Justice Center at 970-257-3640 for divorce or dissolution information.