Marriages/Civil Unions

Basic Requirements

*You must have valid proof of age and identity.*

  • Both applicants need to appear in order to obtain the license. (If just one appears, another form will need to be completed.)
  • Arrive prior to 4:00 p.m. (Marriage/Civil union licenses will not be issued after 4:00 p.m.).
  • License is valid for 35 days from date of issuance.
  • License is only valid for use within the state of Colorado.
  • $30.00 Cash Only license fee; other fees may apply.
  • Parent or Legal Guardian information is required regardless of the age of the applicants.
  • Death or divorce information required (if applicable).
  • Must be 18 years of age.
  • Must have valid proof of identification.
  • Requisitos

If applicant is under 18 years old, judicial approval (Court Order) is required.

Blood tests are not required for either party in the state of Colorado.

  • A couple may not marry/form a union when one of the parties is still married or in a civil union with another person.
  • Divorces and dissolutions must be final.
  • You must provide date and location of divorce or dissolution.
  • Marriage/unions between ancestor and descendant is prohibited whether half or whole blood. (Marriage/union between cousins is permitted.)

Who can perform your marriage ceremony?

Couples may solemnize their own marriage in Colorado.

  • Judges, retired judges, magistrates
  • Information for Judges that perform marriages can be obtained at under the link for Weddings and Civil Unions
  • Public officials authorized to perform marriage ceremonies 
  • Any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination
  • Clergy from out-of-state do not need to be registered in Colorado
  • Indian Tribe or Nation


Who should I contact?

Contact the Mesa County Justice Center at 970-257-3640 for divorce or dissolution information.

Apply for a Marriage License now
Apply for a license now