*You must have valid proof of age and identity.*
- Applications can be filled out at the Recording desk at 200 S. Spruce St, Grand Junction, CO.
- Both applicants need to appear in order to obtain the license. (If just one appears, another form will need to be completed.)
- Arrive prior to 4:30 p.m. (Due to the length of the process and budget constraints, we ask that you please be at our office prior to 4:30 p.m.)
- License is valid for 35 days from date of issuance.
- License is only valid for use within the state of Colorado.
- $30.00 license fee.
- Death or divorce information required (if applicable).
- Must be 18 years of age or have parental consent.
- Must have valid proof of identification.
- Both parents (having full decision-making authority, guardian or judicial approval) are required if applicants are 16 or 17 years old.
- If applicant is younger than 16 years old, consent of parents/guardian AND judicial approval (Court Order) are required.
Blood tests are not required for either party in the state of Colorado.
- A couple may not marry/form a union when one of the parties is still married or in a civil union with another person.
- Divorces and dissolutions must be final.
- You must provide date and location of divorce or dissolution.
- Marriage/unions between ancestor and descendant is prohibited whether half or whole blood. (Marriage/union between cousins is permitted.)
Who can perform your marriage ceremony?
Couples may solemnize their own marriage in Colorado.
- Judges, retired judges, magistrates
- Information for Judges that perform marriages can be obtained at www.mesacourt.org under the link for Weddings and Civil Unions
- Public officials authorized to perform marriage ceremonies
- Any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination (The title Officiant is not acceptable to sign the license)
- Clergy from out-of-state do not need to be registered in Colorado
- Indian Tribe or Nation
Who should I contact?
Contact the Mesa County Justice Center at 970-257-3640 for divorce or dissolution information.