Top Image Mesa County Home
Motor Vehicle

Basic requirements for titling your vehicle:

  • You must title your vehicle within 60 days.
  • The title and registration must be completed in the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county of the owner's principal or primary home address as determined by voter registration
  • If the vehicle is owned by a business, the address where the vehicle is garaged/maintained would be used.

Tip for completing your title 

  If you make a mistake on the title STOP.  Do not cross out the error.  When you bring in the title we may be able to assist you to correct the mistake.  It may require a duplicate title.   

/uploadedImages/Clerk_and_Recorder/Motor_Vehicle/Title.bmp /uploadedImages/Clerk_and_Recorder/Motor_Vehicle/Back of title.1.bmp

   To title your vehicle you will need to provide the following forms:

  • Ownership document [Title or a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO)]
    • If the Title or MSO is from another state we will need to do a physical inspection and complete a VIN verification
  • Bill of Sale, Gift Bill of Sale or Even Trade Affidavit 
  • Statement regarding Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship/Tenants in Common (page 2 on form DR 2395)
  • Odometer Disclosure must be complete on title (or a "secure" form as required by the Federal Odometer Law)
    • If the vehicle is 10 years old or older this is not required
    • If the odometer is not the actual amount the box marked "not actual" should be marked on the title
  • Secure and Verifiable Identification (SVID)
  • Sales Tax
  • Title fee ($7.20)
  • If you choose to title and register your vehicle at the same time, you will also need appropriate registration fees. 
    • You can request an estimate for your license plates (sales tax is NOT included) online
    • You will need proof of insurance on the vehicle you are registering. 
    If you have a loan on your vehicle or you purchased your vehicle from a dealership, in addition to the forms listed above you will also need:
  • Application for Title and Joint Tenancy With Rights of Survivorship/Tenants in Common Acknowledgment (both pages of DR 2395)
  • Dealers Statement Regarding Out of State Vehicle and VIN Inspection (DR 2698)
  • Sales or Use Tax Receipt or Sales Tax payment
  • Loan documents and appropriate filing fees

Important Information regarding your title

There have been some changes as it relates to how your vehicle is titled.  If you want to have your vehicle ownership listed as Joint Tenancy With Rights of Survivorship (JTWROS) each owner of the vehicle must sign the attached acknowledgment.  If all owners do not sign authorizing JTWROS the ownership will be held as Tenants in Common. 

Questions? Contact us at or call 970-244-1664.

Mesa County Logo with Text  Follow Us On  
Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Email Icon 
        Mesa County Home           Comments/Feedback          Copyright/Disclaimer/Privacy           Webmaster